Discover The Tips
- 1 How the best steam mop works
- 2 How to Choose the best steam mop
- 3 Best steam mop: Benefits
- 4 Features to look for when buying the best steam mop
- 5 Things to consider to find the best Steam Mop
- 6 HOW TO CLEAN FLOOR USING A BEST STEAM MOP
Would you like smooth feel to your bare feet and fresh smell in floor. The best steam mop will be a mop that uses mainly deeper cleaning and dusting around the house to clean floors, carpets and gas grill, stove, range hood, counters, cupboards, windows, bathrooms, defrost my freezer, pretty much anything. It does windows better than any window cleaner providing you use the microfiber cloths with it. A main difference of a steam mop from a regular mop is that, a regular mop uses harsh cleaning chemical agents such as bleach while a steam mop uses heat generated from the steam to disinfect floors and any other fabric being washed. All mopping seems to involve a certain amount of pushing dirty water around the floor. The steam mop attracted me because it uses no chemicals and there’s no dipping into a bucket of water. A typical steam mop has a micro-fiber pad located right below the steam jet to help trap dirt like crumbs, powder, soil, mud, hairs and so on. Most good steam mop are new generation tools for home cleaning, promising an Eco-friendly, detergent-free alternative to the traditional mop and bucket.
How the best steam mop works
First, it is perhaps a good idea to understand how these steam mops work. Though there are some differences in the way they operate, many of their techniques are the same. The best water vapor mop generally works by first heating the water inside the reservoir to about 120 degrees Celsius (184 degree Fahrenheit). The best steam cleaning mop may have one or more jets for releasing dry steam which moistens the microfiber underneath it. The steam help in soaking of the pad and dirt is drawn off the fabric material or ground surface. The high temperature generated from steam can kill up to 99% bacteria as well as household dust mites. However, the best quality steam mop can have as many as several steam jets and also come with aromatic microfiber pads. This makes them one of the best home cleaning tools to use. The best steam mop has a two sided cleaning head which deals with a two cleaning approach. Usually, one side is a soft mop pad which is perfect for cleaning hardwood floor or laminated floor while on the other side of the mop head is a somewhat rough cleaning head for rubbing tiles and other tough messes and stains.
Here are some ways to determine the best grade steam mop for you
How to Choose the best steam mop
Price: Different models of steam mops have varying features and capabilities and so does their prices. The best best steam mops that have additional features such as in-built vacuums may be a bit expensive. The best thing is for you to enlist your desired features and compare against the available models. Price doesn’t assure quality so check my best rated steam mop reviews to find the best for your budget.
Brand name reliability: Naturally, there are many manufacturers and dealers of best quality steam mop. It is really not an easy task to find best one for your household needs. You therefore need to look at the reputation and reliability of the provider in order to get the best steam mop. You can do this by searching for reviews and testimonials from previous users on the internet. Find related forum or ask your questions to relative site.
Germ killing power: The germ killing power of given model of steam mop will depend mostly on the maximum temperature of the steam attained. The hot dry steam temperature rating should be capable of killing germs, bacterial and any dust mites that might surface.
Mop head fabric: These are basically micro-fiber pads that are put underneath the steam jets and delivers super heated steam to the surface being cleaned. The best steam mop should have tough, reusable pads that are able to release steam and absorb dirt. The pads should also be machine-washable.
Check for accessories: As already mentioned, check to see that whichever model of a steam mop you choose has all the essential accessories and are available individually. Some models may came with a carpet drier, which will allow you use steam on carpeted floors. Other important accessories include brushes, landing tray or pad and other replacement parts.
Features to look for when buying the best steam mop
- Size and Weight: You should make sure that the overall size and weight is ok with you. Consider any additional features or modifications that make use of the mop easier, they may include a fold-down or telescoping handle and removable water tank that you can use to refill the water at the sink.
- Steam control/release: The best steam mop model should have this feature that lets you control the amount and speed of moisture released. Some models have continuous steam release while others have trigger steam release mechanism. I would advise that you to go for the one with trigger steam releases mechanism as it offers you more freedom and flexibility.
- Reservoir capacity: The water tank that comes with the steam mop is meant to act as a reservoir for water that is later heated to form steam. The higher the capacity the longer it takes to refill, but this may also mean that you will bear a little more weight while at task.
- Swivel head: Most models come with a rather flexible swivel head. If you intend to work in tight areas, this will be the best steam mop model to go for. It offers flexibility, convenience and saves time.
- Built-in vacuum cleaner: The latest models of steam mops have in-built vacuum cleaners. It might be a little extra costly though, so you also need to consider your budget.
- Power cord: Most models of steam mops have code length ranging from 16 to 30 feet. Consider this when ordering for your steam mop. A short cord length is more likely to limit your cleanup to a small room or area. Avoid however using an extra extended cord as this may cause accidents resulting from wattage or tangling.
- High steaming power/High temperature steam: A steam mop mainly relies on very hot steam to kill bacteria and germs, and loosen up dirt. The best steam mop will therefore have a higher power rating with temperatures ranging from 120-150 degrees Celsius.
- Fast heat-up time: First heat time means that sanitation and overall cleanup time will be reduced. Most models will take about 25-40 seconds to heat up. The maximum temperature attained, overall efficiency and flexibility of the model will also affect the time required to do your cleanup.
- Add-water indicator: The best steam mop comes with this feature, a light that will indicate to you when to refill the reservoir tank.
- On-off control: This is a basic feature that lets you turn on or off the power on the steam mop. You may choose a model that has a flick switch (recommended) or you may go for the one with the pull plug.
Things to consider to find the best Steam Mop
The basic purpose which should be fulfilled by the steam mop which you will decide to buy is to provide cleanliness according to your requirements. Also think about these points while you make your decision.
- Type of floor: If you have concrete hard floors, think about Bissell Power Fresh Steam Mop. If you have carpeted rooms or plenty of rugs in your house, go for Hoover Twin Tank Disinfecting Steam Mop.
- Area you live in: If you live in a pastoral place, or in an area facing dust storms every now and then, think about Hoover Twin Tank Disinfecting Steam Mop.
- Type of water for usage: If you want to use tap water, Eureka Hard Surface Floor Steamer 313A will be a better choice as its head seems to handle tap water. If you want to use distilled water choose one from the other two models.
- Price difference: Needles to say, you will definitely compare the prices of these steamers before taking a decision.
- Maintenance cost: Also think how long will the micro fiber pads of which steamer will last longer for you? Which company can provide extra micro fiber pads easily?
- Trigger or switch: What will you like to push, continuous trigger or simple on and off switch?
HOW TO CLEAN FLOOR USING A BEST STEAM MOP
Whatever brand you choose to buy for your floor, you still need to take into a few things before you start your steam mop & get busy in mopping. Steam mop has varieties in size, styles, and various ways to attach the mop heads and amount of steam produce. All of them designed to do clean the floor.
Before to start, use vacuum cleaner or simply sweep your floor, it is more essential first step to carry out dirt, dust, lint and other debris will dirty your mop head unnecessarily. Though many of best steam mop has dual cleaning system which will hover and mop but to get best outcome use vacuum cleaner or sweep.
PREPARE THE MOP
Put the mop pad on first before you plug in your steam to the electrical outlet. Then fill the water tank/s up with water until the indicated water level. Steam mops heat up fast & you may even get an electric shock. So never try to do it while in plug in!
Your steam mop is ready to be used when an indicator to let you know that the water has heated up to the desired temperature. It may be best policy, start mopping in one corner of the room and then work your way across to the far side of that room. While mopping simply push the mop back and forth releasing steam as you go, the steam will dry fast (in a few minutes). It is as easy similar to a regular mop.
CHANGE of THE CLEANING PAD
Changing or replacing mop head is another important fact else you might responsible pushing germs and dirt around the floor. Although many of the best steam mop feature dual heads or two sided mop heads, let you used one side gets dirty then use the other side. Before to change the cleaning pads, never to forget to unplug the steam mop and wait for turn into cool.
STORE STEAM MOP
Store steam mop to any place is very convenient issue. Doesn’t require more space to keep in unlike regular mops. No additional buckets required. Once you mopped the floor, ensure that that the water tanks are completely empty and always to take out any dirty and wet mop pads, as dampness can damage steam mop which it can clog your steam mop system.
The Mop Guide, that provide you with all the information you need to make a choice you can be confident is the right one for your own home and budget. Hope you find your best steam mop & off course shine your house.
Latest posts by The Mop Guide (see all)
- Laminate Vs. Wood Floors. Which Is Right for You by Pros & Cons of Each One? - June 29, 2018
- 10 Easy Ways to Update Old Kitchen on a Budget - May 16, 2018
- Best Easy Ways to Reduce Dust In Your Home - May 14, 2018